2. Coachella - The first(and probably the only) time I attended the festival was this year and it significantly changed my perspective on how to listen to music as well as help create it as a percussionist.
3. Creative Mornings - Being a part of a gathering like minded designers and creative intellectuals in the heart of L.A. with my colleagues at Proxart was a significant experience, something that I plan to continue to be a part of.
4. Reporting exhibitions at LACMA and Cal Arts in the same week - To me(and I believe Proxart) this signified real growth in my(our) chosen career path.
5. My last show with The Oceanographers - Great atmosphere, great fans, great night from beginning to end.
- Oceanographer shows at Antioch
- Coaching basketball at Staples Center
- The 2 times I went to a Wurstuchke, a resturant in L.A.
- Proxart Magazine release parties
- Exhibitions I participated in as an artist in L.A. and Pasadena
Okay I wasn’t a big fan of what I wrote the first time around on the topic so I thought I would give it another shot, I thought it would be better to do some lists:
Top 5 most songs(in terms of personal impact):
1. Impossible Soul - Sufjan Stevens - No song better captured the entire cycle of my year and moments, the movements of the song even feel like they capture my year in exact chronological order. The feeling I have for the song goes well beyond its lyrics, but to the actual mood the music creates with each movement.
2. Take Five - Dave Brubeck - At the end of this year I really immersed myself in Jazz in a way I never really did before and it took Brubecks heavily popular song to get it done. I am grateful for it because Jazz has done so much for me creatively as of late and I am sure it will in the future.
3. Cosmogramma - Flying Lotus - This song and artist represent my short lived intense fascination with electronic and trip hop music. The genres still have a place in my music library, but not at the same relevancy. Still it was fun and interesting to study this music for a while
4. Harrowdown Hill - Thom Yorke - My favorite song Thom Yorke played at Coachella, and it is easy to say that Coachella and Yorke was a life long concert/festival highlight
5. Can’t We Be Friends - Frank Sinatra - Like Jazz, this year marked me getting really into Sinatra and others like him from the past.
1. Even though pointless wars are still fought, a decent portion of male aggression can be channeled into athletic competition; therefore, athletic competition, can be argued, directly is saving humanity from self annihilation.
2. Pro sports have become the greatest form of reality entertainment in our current society that craves reality television and entertainment(well.. save political pundit shows). SportsCenter and TMZ have merged in such a way that we actually care about what Brett Favre and Tiger woods are doing away from their perspective sports, where even 10 years ago we just saw them, and others like them, as gladiators of entertainment and nothing else.
3. More than any other facet of modern society, sports seems to be the ultimate unification device. Race, gender, social class etc takes a back seat to “DA BEARS”!
1. Sports has become a bastion of cross promoting and marketing. “Tostitos” Fiesta Bowl is all I have to say in regards to proving this con to be true
Writing on reflections of a year always seems difficult to me, I try to always take life by the day or to work for the future, I suppose that is why actually trying to find something clever to write about the past is so difficult(well writing anything clever, in general, is rather difficult).
I know I can say, without hesitation, that I have experienced love, loss, pleasure, pain, accomplishment, failure, joy and adversity in ways I could have never imagined, not to say that any of this was great or severe relative to the plights of the world, but it was all very relative to the world I know and have experienced in the past. As a result I was able to learn, change grow, and improve in an extraordinary fashion. It is safe to say that I am not the same person I was this time a year ago, and for the better, personal progression is vital.
Because everything I have experienced this year I have never been more optimistic or really more prepared for a coming new year.
1. The chances of meeting someone for a one night stand increase dramatically in this situation. The chances of meeting the love of your life increases dramatically in this situation.
2. If your a salesman, an artist, or someone trying to sell art, you are able to reach a wide audience in this environment considering that either:
A. People in this environment are too wrapped up in their careers for traditional dating and have a significant amount of money they don’t need to buy things they don’t need
B. People in this environment are too miserable and lonely for traditional dating and they maybe looking for material things as comfort
3. It is said that food and drink are relatively cheap
1. People are too wrapped up in their careers or misery in this situation, therefore, a meaningful, long term, relationship does not have a very good chance of coming to fruition (this can obviously be a pro based on your preferences and desires).
2. Badges declaring the names and hobbies of complete strangers.
3. The realization that no one in this environment would be really interesting, if they were they wouldn’t have to list their hobbies on a badge and look for cheap food and drink at a speed dating night.