I’m sure this has been said before by many a people, but I have to say(or write) it now…..
Coachella has changed my life
But not for the experience, the drugs(didn’t take any) the booze(I had one beer in 3 days), or anything like that… I’m not against all of that though, to each his/her own
But the music changed my life, seeing the best musicians in the world has altered my entire approach to being a percussionist and a musician in general. I could go into details about the things I noticed in the great drummers/percussionists I saw this weekend and the things I saw in general but I will say that I am looking forward to pushing the projects I am involved in to the next level.
Enough about me here are the 5 bands out 150 that really made an impact for me:
1. Thom Yorke/Atoms for Peace = He was the first reason I got interested in going this year and he surpassed everything I expected…. the high energy, sped-up, techno like performances of songs found on his album The Eraser put me on some other euphoric dimension I’ve never been before….. truly sublime
2. The Dead Weather - A good set turned great with the last 3 songs, the first featuring Jack White leaving the drum kit and picking up the guitar(you can only imagine what happened next of course), next was a cover of Bob Dylan’s New Pony(also on the album) followed by an intense version of Treat Me Like Your Mother
3. Local Natives = There were a lot of bands that were Coachella virgins themselves and were totally jazzed to be up on stage as a result, no band showed the energy stemming from the joy of playing this festival than the Local Natives…. they smiled, they danced, they did not disappoint
4. Phoenix - Like the Local Natives they were totally psyched to be there, their interaction with the crowd was a special experience as they closed of the set with an extended version of 1901
5. Hot Chip = Perfect audio, great stage presence… not much to say here but in a good way, high energy straight forward great sounding music.